Kristen's Spin Class

Friday, May 14, 2010

When The Music’s Over, Turn Up The Light


Darkness descends on the CS when the music begins.  It unlike the Door’s song turns our CS into light when the music’s over.  And that my fellow riders, signals the end of our meditation.  Kristen has alluded to spinning as a form of meditation for her and it can take that form as well for us.  Meditation might be more associated with a serene and quiet setting as in a retreat house on our North Shore. But what are the elements of meditation that one might consider when comparing it to our ride?

 Meditation does include focus on breathing as does spinning.  Meditation has the basis of letting thoughts pass through our minds without holding onto them and when we spin there are no room for thoughts except our ride lest it affect our concentration.  And finally Meditation strengthens the mind as spinning does for our bodies.  So the link that KG has made for herself we can if we wish adopt for ourselves. Meditation?  Yes all the elements are there for me how about for you? 

It’s Friday once again my cycle mates and I love ending the week with KSC because it has given so much to me in these past few months. Certainly a lot to write about and when I awake at dawn each day, I start to electronically scribble several of my 8 blogs, three of which involve spinning. And when I talk about meditation in today’s post I reflect on the whole process that spinning has afforded me, the waiting on line (both computer and in physical) which has allowed me to accelerate my true passion of writing, as I was just telling Arthur just back from his European sojourn.

And now a pithy word or two about today’s class. Kristen was the angriest I have ever seen her. She had the veneer of her usual engaging narrative but I could feel it just under the surface as if she knew intuitively we were grumbling under our breath about how hard we were working.  She said: “It’s not my problem”.  And she is so right because every day imagine every day she shows up for classes plural and gives it her all. She is not just teaching up in #41 she is doing.  We have to hold ourselves accountable in the same fashion. 


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2NgNxbXIqU When the Music's Over: The Doors. 


No comments:

Post a Comment