Kristen's Spin Class

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Taking it to the Streets


Well not literally the streets, more like the track at the middle school in my neighborhood. I was curious about whether or not spinning translated into more speed and endurance on foot.

And to my limited surprise it sure did.  I used to be a long distance runner in my past life but over the years my distance has been severely curtailed by age, knee pain and a level of fitness that could not compare to what I have been experiencing over the past 4 months in Kristen’s Spin Class.  What I tried on the track was a series of ladders up and down with various distances involving ¼ mile runs down to 110-yard sprints. Grant it was only a little over 2 ½ miles but the speed and endurance was there right where I left it in my last CS session. 

I don’t think I will return to a running regimen because my knees will bark too loud but it gave me a little exercise modification. And a welcome change jut like group exercise does in Tabata.

 And as I add to this post today Sunday, my legs are screaming at me: Get me back on that spin bike. The pain is excruciating and kept me from Carolyn’s class this morning.  The silver lining is that I woke up in time to secure a bike online in KSC. Yay!  By the way friends do you have your methadone doses ready for when Kristen goes on vacation?  I hope I do not get the delirium tremors those are the DT’s or the shakes for you earthlings.  Well my curiosity will be who steps up in her place in #41.  I know I have my favorites. 

I have been hearing rumors about TRX classes making an appearance in June at the club and I had some exposure to it in those E=mc sessions I had with Richard Bianco.  It claims to strengthen your core, which leads to a stronger transfer of power from your lower to your upper body. Sounds like exercise babble but I am sure it has scientific purpose to it.  I have a strong hallucination that this will become another mad dash that we will all want to get into to compliment our spin classes and unlike the space on the floor which can get overly crowded there will be only so many cables that they can fit in the Main Studio. I am sure Kristen will be leading these classes as well.  Yes my friends another line. Oh boy!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUE0r3fsWdg  Taking it to the Streets: Doobie Brothers, 1977

No comments:

Post a Comment