Kristen's Spin Class

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Captain Pacer


In Kristen’s absence in the 0945 slot in the CS today was Alex Aguera she was extolling his talents to me just before she went away and I wanted to see what his repertoire was like.  I found it almost within the first few moments. 

He is an extremely fit middle-aged man, lean with sharp angles all around.  I found him to be singularly unique and not comparable to either of Mr. Mayhem or The Blue Sapphire. And I love that all of the now four instructors are as different as the proverbial snowflake.   He brought the word cadence with him as if he was a drill sergeant in his past life.

 There are so many elements to spin that I am starting to grasp and take in viscerally and pacing is my newest acumen.  Too often as I learned yesterday in Roslyn when I move from position #3 with strong resistance on that red dial that I have a tendency to slow my pedal stroke noticeably when I go back to the seat.  Kristen pointed out that my heart rate slows as soon as I sit but my mind says I am still fatigued.  I tried it today with Captain Pacer and I used the discipline to speed up rather than slow down and it worked as if by magic.


 Alex kept counting 1-2 at different speeds like a metronome atop a piano.  It made for discipline at the pedal stroke seem relatively easy because I didn’t have to think about it. And I started to focus more on the rudiments of spin rather than my usual all out effort. In Roslyn yesterday Kristen sidled close in front of my bike and said: Take some road off and pick up your speed.  A 1000-watt bulb lit my grey cells because my concentration was on how much resistance was on the dial not on pedal stroke speed. My classes are going to be much more efficient now with just this simple lesson.   

Captain Pacer rounds out the fearsome foursome.

That's not my name:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1c2OfAzDTI

No comments:

Post a Comment