Kristen's Spin Class

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Estrogen Field


Today in KSC, which was totally unplanned, I found a bike as late as 15 minutes before the start of class after a one on one workout with Rich Bianco. The open bike was pure luck of the summer.  I am so glad I took the spot because Evil Woman was at the top of her game. 
I am used to a smattering of men in every class of KSC, but today I found myself in a sea of muliebrity. It was a most singular experience. I have been amongst women in a concentrated space in an office setting and there is a palpable ‘feel’ when a man enters: The Estrogen Field. So here I was with 40 women atop our Schwinn’s and one might conclude that I was one lucky guy. There was plenty of eye candy, all for me but that fun  soon disappeared as we got down to the business at hand, Kristen was about to kick our collective asses; women and man. She did just that. 
It was distinctively quiet throughout the session and I felt compelled to let out some whoops and yells and when I found that I had no accompaniment from my fellowette riders I knew that my testosterone might not be well received in a sea of estrogen, but that was not going to stop me, after all I had to represent the male of the species. 
Kristen played not one but two songs; Evil Woman that had the chorus of ELO but a female covering the main lyrics (still good) and a hip-hop song that actually had me bellowing as well. But let’s be very clear it really doesn’t matter what music she plays because I always learn something, am motivated the rest of the day and the fat is just melting away.  
The Estrogen Field can be a dangerous place even for men of action like me. 

2 comments:

  1. jb-

    I guess now you have an inkling what's it's like for a single woman in a room full of testosterone?? Or for us women who work in a traditional man's field.

    AYW

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is it like being in a room filled with testosterone? Those excuses are no longer valid. This is the 21st century.

    ReplyDelete