Kristen's Spin Class

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Power of Corso



I can almost feel the elevated awareness of this phenomenal talent in our midst, Michelle Corso.  She has been here for quite some time but I just can’t believe how much I am kicking myself for not recognizing this gem sooner. 
The first time I took her class I thought it was just too much speed and that there was no way in hell I could keep up with her velocity. When I went back a second, third and now a fourth time I realized that it was so much more about the power than speed. Today was exemplary in that regard. And I frankly felt that this woman was only for the elite athlete, she is but, there is a chance for us sexagenarians to benefit from her marvelous repertoire that keeps changing like the
 front cover of a daily newspaper.  I absolutely love her choreography it’s Kristen like but different. She talks to us like KG does but it’s with a different intonation. It comes from more of a petitioning than straight inspiration.  She will ask us throughout the ride if we are with her, or you have to find yourself, or that she needs us.  An interesting twist on coaching if you ask me. It takes for granted that we are spinning with her not being led by her.
 Let’s see if I can be more clear and that might take some doing because I tend to get lost in Michelle’s physiology that is super hero like. I half expect her to either erupt into spontaneous combustion or reach out her muscular arms and tap me on my shoulder to urge me on.  But back to my point, when I spin with Kristen I take her instruction like doctrine. I know it to be true because of her experience, expertise and of course charisma. With Michelle, her experience and expertise are there but it is her charisma that might be somewhat elusive. Elusive because we have to look in a different place.  She is not the star in the room, we are. I had some trouble with that concept, primarily because I am a neophyte when compared to these Equinox stars. Michelle Corso is so self effacing we can get taken aback with the idea that we make the ride, not her. See if you can follow me on this.  I like to turn it over to the instructor, Michelle leaves that decision in our hands or in this case our legs. 
I am making progress as well, last episode had me flailing by mid session, today I made it through to the 50 minute mark before my breathing gave out. 
P.S. 
I don't know if "I'm Turning Japanese" is politically correct anymore  but it is one hell of a song. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWAwrMFtSvM

No comments:

Post a Comment