Kristen's Spin Class

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Precision Stone


A field trip to Roslyn this pre autumn Saturday, had me visiting the Heart of Stone.  This my 3rd take on this diminutive star, had me doing a double take. I had chronicled earlier how this woman’s choreography, her call, is in my opinion of elite status. Her musical track serves to compliment her vocal clarity, does not compete with it as can happen when technology over steps the bounds of the human touch.  What I also found singular to her personal brand of spin was the specificity of each transition from speed, resistance, time and positioning up and down the bike.  June Taylor* couldn’t have orchestrated a better dance number than Cathy, the Heart of Stone as I have dubbed her.  
Why the double take though?  Because somewhat like Maureen Gallagher, the Heart of Stone is undiscovered country. She weaves in her personal brand of coaching as she approaches you in front of the bike with exacting instruction tailor made for the individual, not boiler plate enthusiasm in a bottle.  She is in a word, compelling. 
She extracted my maximum effort with ease and when she asked us several times to close our eyes and imagine a scenario, I knew her roots were Zen like, just the ‘trip’ I love to take when I clip in for my ride. 
There is from this writer an aspect of Cathy that still needs to be unlatched. It is her full charisma that she is either not willing to display or is holding back. I had the image of her behind a heavy wooden door and her face visible from behind a window pane, was animated, but I wasn’t getting the full affect of her innate talent. Still, to be sure this Stone has made me one of her new devotees. Cathy Munzer Stone, another eye sparkler in the jewelry box, that is Equinox spin instructors. 


P.S. 
Just in case you forgot.



About Cathy : Cathy Munzer, AFAA certified fitness instructor, has served the New York City fitness community for more than 15 years. Her repertoire of classes include spinning, body conditioning, and yoga. Other certifications and recognitions include the Schwinn Cycle Academy, Hatha Yoga, and Pilates. She has been with Equinox since 1999.

No comments:

Post a Comment