Kristen's Spin Class

Monday, September 6, 2010

The Pedal Stroke


Ever been in a car as a kid and watched the car next to you, and it looked like the wheels were going backwards? That was the graphic image I got when I watched Michelle’s legs on her pedal stroke.  She certainly has tremendous power and speed. I think it might be about 150 Rpms. Maybe that’s an over estimate, I am not sure. Not long ago on the stationary bikes in the main room I can remember not getting past 80 per minute.  It is certainly conceivable that Michelle is double that speed. 
I had a chance to ask her about her sessions at Equinox and as I had chronicled, she is about power first and speed second not the reverse. She sees so many of us whirling around at breakneck Rpm's knowing there is no road on the resistance wheel. It serves no purpose she says. She is right too, because I have seen some of us pedaling so fast we are close to falling off our bikes. A little resistance goes along way not only making us stronger but more comfortable in the seat as well. 
My sincere hope in writing about Michelle is that you take another look at her technique. There is no mistaking her adroitness and if you give her a chance she will win you over like she has me. She prepares and delivers and it’s not the same newspapers from the day before or even the week before. 
Any one of you have heel pain?  Plantar fasciitis is the technical name and I have read about it on Webmd.com and I am not sure from my readings if it is from over use, my shoes being worn out or I just have not stretched enough. Michelle gave me an exercise and I will be religious about using it to help abate the discomfort, because I do not want to live even a week without my addiction.  
Did you notice if you did take the Corso Zone today that she got off the bike and wandered the aisles, albeit briefly. I hope she keeps doing that because it is inspiring and adds that element of contact that we all love. She is all business but that doesn’t mean we can’t get to know her just a little bit better. 
Debbie and Arthur who are aficionado's of KSC were there because they probably couldn’t get into Kristen’s 8:30. This is a great alternative, a great alternative. 

No comments:

Post a Comment