Kristen's Spin Class

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Bionic Woman


I entered the Corso Zone via the venue of Roslyn this Tuesday and it was just as daunting as it is in Woodbury.  I thought about what I wanted to say and what appeared were phrases like: Enter the Corso Zone at Your Own Risk and Terminator Corso. She as I have written is an extraordinary life specimen in terms of physique and talent.  What makes her preternatural in my eyes is her aloofness. She might not like that description but it is also what makes her so f***ing good too.  I know that underneath (to those that know her) lies a pulsing personality, but do we really get to know our spin instructors? I mean do we really know them? I love the limited notoriety I have achieved in KSC, spinning with Mr. Mayhem and The Blue Sapphire but I don’t have a personal relationship with any of these very distinct personalities. They have their own lives to live and any relationships with members has to be for the most part very limited. So if you can bypass the familiarity we enjoy some of the time and just take on the purest element of spinning, take Michelle Corso’s class. Someone said to me, that Corso’s class had two speeds: Fast and Faster. That is such a fallacious statement. If you listen to her instruction, you will find her technically superb.  And by God her music selection sent me on a trip to Mars, I loved it.  
There is something else that I am hesitant to say but I will say it anyway. The reason that her classes are not always filled is because members think they are much too difficult.  I hate to say it but it’s true.  I have had to dig so deep into my psyche of my past to muster the strength to get a passing grade in her 60 minute interval. One could lollygag like I saw some riders do in Roslyn today, but to be fully engaged and keep up with Michelle (if that is possible) requires not only a caliber of fitness that takes years but also carries a necessary deep concentration and focus that is simply not easy to do.  If you really want a challenge, enter the Corso Zone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment