Kristen's Spin Class

Friday, September 3, 2010

Power and Speed


Have I lost my mind? Is there such a thing as being too close?  Is the fear I feel at the beginning of The Corso Zone real or totally a figment of my imagination?  I think the answer to the last question has both elements of reality and head game. It’s real in the sense that my body is experiencing abject fear and it’s my imagination because I am projecting about my previous sessions I have taken with her. If I ask my wife and close friends, they think I have lost my mind based on how many times I spin each week. Secondly,  if I do take the  #1 bike again I will don a a lead shield to protect me from the gamma rays. Although I am starting to feel hulkish.  

Today in the 830 slot which was to have been Damian’s, I spied that Michelle would be subbing. I tried not to think about Tuesday which was my last class with her in Roslyn, and blot out just how daunting 60 minutes is with her. I mean in the sense that you commit to an all out effort, the Corso Zone is for the elite spinner.  I am out of my league.  Suffice it to say that any of our instructors could blow me out of the water if they decided to turn on the pedal stroke, Michelle is in my opinion more suited for an athlete in top form. This will not keep me from taking her class, because I can mark my progress clearly in just how much time I spend in and out of the anaerobic zone. My friend Nancy K. told me that I can’t write about another instructor in KSC.  I said anyone in Kristen’s staff is part of her domain and so I concluded that I could do whatever I wanted.  
If you look purely at Michelle's  anatomy, fat does not exist on this woman’s body. If there is any at all  it must be just for flavor.  Someone must have lied to me when they said that she has 4 children. My jaw dropped, because it is inconceivable (no pun) to me. I suppose anything is possible with enough dedication and this young woman certainly has that. 

 At one point Ms. Corso asked us for more road, and I was about to call the construction crew because I was out of asphalt.  I could also see that Michelle is not as aloof as I had thought, because I witnessed several smiles  creasing her face today. Maybe I just didn't notice them before. 
I keep thinking about what one male spinner told me about Michelle, that she had only two speeds: fast and faster. A truly half-baked statement indeed. I can see why he may have concluded that because in the first session I took with her several months ago I went away scratching my head, because all I saw was a blur. However, in #1 today I got to hear her lesson plan in fine detail. Corso leads with power not with speed.  Speed is an integral part of her style, but only after you have mastered power. I didn’t try to match her pedal stroke speed, (which is impossible for me) and instead concentrated on discovering just how much resistance I could muster and still keep my pedal stroke from becoming choppy.  She kept emphasizing to keep a smooth pedal stroke, and with too much “red dial” it is not feasible.
 I learn more every time I spin with Kristen’s elite staff and spinning is beyond Zen it is and please forgive me a way of life.  Have I flipped? I don’t think so, because my life has never been more aligned than it is now, seven months in to this spectacular sport. I think more logically, attend to matters promptly and what is more important in a deliberating fashion as well.    

No comments:

Post a Comment