Kristen's Spin Class

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Crest of the Hill

Wednesday ‘s class brought light to a subtlety that I have to work on.  It’s after we accelerate in position #3 and then when we “pull back” I have a tendency to let my RPM’s fall off too far.  After the intense effort I think that by slowing way down I am recovering from the climb.    The truth is that my slowing down does not help me recover I only think it does.  What to do though was my conundrum.

However, I hit on the parallel that made perfect sense to me. It was just like running up a hill in the footraces I competed in.  A champion runner gave me this tip: Run over the crest of the hill and your speed will actually increase as you hit the downhill.  Most runners he said slow down just as they reach the top because they ‘think’ they are beat from the climb.  But he said that slight extra effort will carry you right into the recovery you need you just have to give it time.  And he was right.  The same postulation holds sweat in the spinning studio I was able to duplicate the same theory and my RPM’s didn’t fall off like they had the class before.


No comments:

Post a Comment