Kristen's Spin Class

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Hercules Unchained


We take no chances on a Saturday version of KSC. In some ways it’s like hen’s teeth. In case you’re unfamiliar with that idiom it means, rare.  Rolling out of bed on the weekend carries a different edge something like a butter knife versus the steak knife of the weekday. In any case I am here a full 90 minutes before the talk of the town class.
Next to me a very disgruntled class mate told me her story of how she couldn’t understand how certain people get the same bike every time. She thinks the system is rigged and favors certain members of KSC. How could it be she lamented,  that when she tries electronic entry, she never gets the bike she picks and gets rerouted to one that is available if she does get picked by the computer.  I acknowledged and tried to validate her feelings. Even if some or all of her claims are true I have no kick. I tend to take the 1,000 foot view of KSC. It has done so many things for me that I refuse to get caught up in any politics it might generate. What I feel bad about is that there are some members that have just given up because they say they can’t get in.  Simply that is not true. What is true is that the computer entry is pure chance as I see it but the 10 available bikes before class are something you can control.  Some may not have the time I do to spend waiting.  I never feel cheated,  because I write and I get more ideas in my third space which is Equinox than if I sat home staring at the four walls and six felines. All of this may become a moot point when the class size gets expanded to 56 bikes. I am not so sure that this will alleviate the problem but I do think there will be more cancellations at least at first.  
She was on today wasn’t she?  The fact that she gave up her bike surprised me, but she did just as I expected she would. I had the image that she was Hercules Unchained. Not tied to the bike, she was free to wander the CS and get up close and dole out that individual attention she is so damn good at. Clear tones as she vocalizes her instruction as she plays her voice inflection like a finely tuned instrument. We not only hear the words but feel them as well. Zen at it’s best today. Kristen is quite intuitive dontcha know? She caught me in a wandering thought and instinctively brought me back, and I thought, how observant of her.  
 Sunday, it’s The Blue Sapphire in a different time slot and Rich says he has clients then but I said bag them and you can even have #1 if you want. Love isn’t it grand?

No comments:

Post a Comment