Kristen's Spin Class

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Swan Song


Today I was worried that my spinning days had come to a conclusion.  Without much fanfare I might add.  For the first time in a hundred odd days my intuition held me from taking the trek into Equinox and waiting on line for the “ten most wanted” seats in Kristen’s Spin Class. 

I know that after so many years of exercise in one form or the other I was reaching the first phase of burn out.  I was determined however to manage my expectations a bit better and back off on the pedal stroke just a touch because I realized I had added too much road for my body in its present form to endure. 

This is no easy tale to tell because my ego will never let me give up. Fortunately this awakening came before I chose to give in. And so I take a couple of days to re-charge or rejuvenate my desire that had me come into KSC in the first place. 

For one I would miss writing about my adventures and two because it’s more much more than just a spin class. It’s as I have said part Zen part 12 step and part fitness all rolled up into a little red knob below the black handlebars. It goes without saying of course that the third reason is that I would miss Kristen the main ingredient to why we all cram in here when we can have front row seats in any other class Equinox offers. 

And so because I thought this might be my swan song in writing KSC I’ll give it a day or two before I take my place alongside you all again my intimate strangers.  (I hope)

Yours truly,
Jack Briant A.K.A. John McQueen

2 comments:

  1. I would posit that your desire to "stop spinning", is not so much a retraction from the activitiy, as a signal from your body that you need recovery. This is true for all athletes, but especially older athletes (older than 30yrs). We need to orchestrate enough recovery into our workouts and overall plan to keep both the body fresh AND the mind engaged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gene
    I totally agree with you. The two days off has had a great affect on me because I am anxious to get back on the bike. Especially older athletes like sexagenarians like me. I want to talk to you about that balance maybe you can give me some pointers when you take Kristen's class next week.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete