Kristen's Spin Class

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Creative Visualization


How is that when we spin in KSC that we are able to act as if we are on the open road with other riders?  Well for one thing even though we are not we do have each other all in close proximity.  The presence of each and every one of you gives me the sense that we are a team. Is that too much of a stretch?  That is how I feel when Kristen starts her narrative about how we have cyclists in front of us and how we will pass each and every one of them.  So it is in some way a very singular experience but with the full complement in studio, I feel as if   the ground is moving under our spinning wheels.

Take off starts with the warm-up song, which usually turns on my active imagination to the tune of inspiration on high alert.  I have never had a connection so vivid and so strong between extreme physicality and my dancing pen.  Usually when scripting, I am the solitary cyclist hoping for afflatus to strike me like lightning in a bottle on a blue moon night.  But here in the studio my thoughts are like time-lapse photography of taillights streaming past me in a solid redline.   I almost need a stenographer to capture all the images that light on me, but the anaerobic state consumes them like high-octane fuel.  My only solace is that my creative writing is that of a comets tail that stretches for miles.    

And so you see the combination is as dramatic to me as it probably is for you, when mind and body are fully clipped in.  I am just privileged to write about it. 

Back from Florida as I watched a life close to me slipping away and I am determined to accelerate my fitness even further to stave off Father Time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment