Kristen's Spin Class

Monday, April 5, 2010

Sports Car Physiology

Inspiration arrives on different conveyances each day.  Sometimes it’s in the car moving at the speed limit (or breaking it), or in a wooden chair as I look out my backyard window or in a dream when it is in its most pure form.  The latter being in its most tenuous shape as it often disappears on the cloud it came in on. 

Today it came in the form of a strapping young man named Myles.  I thought I would be on word today typing some profound thoughts as I waited for my turn in KSC, but what came out of the mouth of this 26 year old was true profundity.  He was mature way beyond his years because he has experienced much in his short lifetime.  But unlike other young people that have experiences this man has integrated them into his psyche, truly unusual for a man only in his mid twenties. These life experiences have also left an indelible mark of excellence all over his determined countenance and his head is screwed on not only tight but also forward thinking as well.  I will not share the details because I just don’t have his permission to do so but rest assured he had me thinking about old precepts that I had forgotten years ago. 

Today’s class had me feeling just a tad trepidatious (OED says it is a word). After all this would be my 5th Spin class in as many as 8 days and it seemed just a few moments ago that two a week was a daunting task.  Nevertheless KG looking as fresh as ever had me on track virtually in an instant. and what gets hold of me every time here is that it is never the same. Some of the jargon is familiar but the mental voyage is unique each time.  It is the risk that she takes that intrigues me as well because here is a young woman who has it all going on and she chooses not to rely on her past excellence but challenges herself to new levels every time she walks through those glass doors and jumps aboard #41.  As I have written earlier it’s a gift. There are other precious stone instructors here but we have the flawless diamond in Kristen Gagne. 

Do you know that Kristen teaches someplace else during the week?  And did you know that when I went on the computer this morning 26 hours before to book online that I got a bike?  Ask me I dare you?  

Sports Car Physiology?  I just like the title. 


No comments:

Post a Comment