Kristen's Spin Class

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Sore By Four


This was Kristen’s refrain this morning as she came in on her day off to substitute for the sculpt class.  I frankly don’t need to reflect on a specific hour to experience soreness.  These past 3 months I have either been crippled or done impersonations of Lot’s wife

I was aided by an unknown female to assert myself, as there seemed to be virtually no real estate to be had as this class was at full capacity yet again. She said take that spot up there in front, I thought that my would be neighbors to the left and right might give me a sardonic look as I tried to split the difference between them. My unknown advocate said if it was them they would nestle themselves without hesitation.  So I proceeded with some caution and it brought me ease that both women were generally amiable with my appearance.

What did cause me some consternation was the fact that I was in such close proximity to the wall mirror in front. I can usually hide in one of the outposts near the doors and not have to be confronted with my physiology so up close and personal.  As I have aged gone are those glory days of wanting to see my image.  After running a 100-mile week my ego longed to show off my eight-pack abs and bulging calves that even body builders admired.  But this is 2010 not 1980 and any reasonable facsimile to that body is stuck in some picture of me crossing the finish line at Boston. Lately I feel like I am standing in front of a funhouse mirror. 

All in all another great workout but I am not sure about this Main Studio group exercise thing because its quite frankly just too crowded.  At least in the spin class there is no impingement on anyone’s space. As I passed through the glass doors it was Carolyn Mellace’s turn to take the 9:00 AM segment and she said to me are you going to take the 10:15 spin class with me?  And friends I actually gave it a thought but my creaking physiology said in a chorus: “Are you nuts Jack?”

Sore by four?  I am just a little ahead of schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment