Kristen's Spin Class

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Self-Actualization Part II



All kinds of images were brought to my consciousness today in the Wednesday edition of KSC. No need to talk about time because we are blessed with just one time slot five days of the week here in Woodbury. Let me not digress, (as can be my habit as my mind takes sojourns without my authorization) but, flat out, Ms. Gagne has raised her game yet again. This time with the aid of the onboard monitors, she has taken her undergraduate psychology degree and her M.S. in Exercise Physiology and is giving us an education like no exercise protocol  or video could. With the intonation of Marisa Tomei from My Cousin Vinny: Would you like me to explain?

Just like the tennis player that can hit a faster volley with a thermoplastic racket than the old wooden ones, The Evil Woman is using the latest technology and making spin like a 4G phone only lacking back scratching capabilities. The pictures she paints in her soliloquies drawn from her personal experiences are deeply visceral because they are born from an authenticity you cannot feign.  

The first two sessions using the onboard computer had me mesmerized but this third foray with these electronics had me feeling less apprehensive about their significance. I have begun to realize that it is a tool not a mandate as to how my ride should go. This new equipment will and I am convinced of this will bring us to the efficient frontier of exercise. I am not sure exactly how just yet but I know that it will unfold inevitably over time.     

And finally my entry has to make a comment on Kristen’s ending choreography. As the ride neared its completion, she bent down virtually out of sight from most of the room and began her Zen like story that made the ride seem as if were outside on the road as she described our approach to the finish line. She told me that she didn’t want anyone to be looking at her so that they would focus on her narrative, but I watched her and what was remarkable about that was she had become in her own way transfixed and “fully associated” as only her talent can do. It made the end most satisfying and I told her this was her #1 ride and in her typical self-effacing way dismissed this notion. But my friends this was her #1 and I expect that she will be breaking the charts with another #1 in short order. 

She talked earlier in the session about self-actualization which as our psychology lessons from Maslow tells us is our human tendency for self-fulfillment.  Our desire if you will to be all that we are capable of becoming. These classes as I have said have elevated my more serious scribing in my other blogs to a level I had only wished for and I have this experience and KG to thank for that.  

P.S. 

I also write about addiction and if you want to follow some of my other writings please look here first:
Mylifeafteraa.blogspot.com



No comments:

Post a Comment