Kristen's Spin Class

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Godzilla


Today the breakneck effort that is KSC took on yet another dimension. I thought that I had covered it all as I was relating to Ari and Lizzie after class, but leave it to the  Evil Woman to amp us up even higher  by putting those long awaited monitors on the bikes that we heard her talk about well almost a year ago. Well here they are and the permutations on how she will use them will be virtually limitless and it will be my vocation to explore it from our side of the CS.  

One thing that I noticed right away is my lazy tendency to drift way back on my RPM’s after a surge or a breakaway. Instead of moving from 65 to 55, I was falling back to under 50 and this realization had me feeling like I had to “catch up” for a good portion of the ride. But this is simply not the case. In my conscious mind I need a rest but it takes only a modicum of effort to keep my RPM’s at desired levels. The slow down does not give me any respite like I think it might but in fact only makes me more tired as the difference between speeds becomes a gap too large  to bridge.  I hope I didn’t confuse you but it’s as clear as mud in my mind.

I loved the way she gave looking at it a rest too. It’s new and too much of anything can make you try to do things that you are not capable of yet. I for instance felt that 120 RPM’s is pretty much out of the realm of possibility right now. It just seems I am not comfortable pedaling as fast as I can especially in position #3.  But I think that this will come in time as my fitness level increases. I especially like the idea of what the monitors will do for our pedal stroke so that we are not jumping too high or too low, but are staying within a narrow range that will serve to give us a more even ride throughout.  

Now for something that had me captivated. And it came from Kristen herself. I noticed that she was mouthing the lyrics to one of the songs and as I watched her countenance she gave us a window into her inner alignment.  Her facial expressions set to a rhythm of perfect contortions   were timed perfectly with her words and as she gave us her extemporaneous soliloquy all three senses clicked in my head because I heard, I saw and now I felt what she has been doing in a way I have never experienced heretofore.  

P.S.
I never even mentioned 57 ½ minutes did I? Oops.  But truth be told 60 minutes with her is all I need to complete my regimen for the day.  

P.P.S.
Why Godzilla? I don’t know I just saw the first version from 1956 with Raymond Burr and I thought to myself Godzilla would have been out of breath today too.  




No comments:

Post a Comment