Kristen's Spin Class

Friday, April 15, 2011

Very Bad Things


Put her in, she’s ready to play. I think right field has an opening for her. She is Amy Amato and my vote if my vote counts is two thumbs up! Way up! She took a tough Army like approach with no sugar coating and warned us against cell phones and that she would take them away from us if she found us scanning them during class. Some took umbrage to this but friends would we even think of pulling out our 4G’s with the Evil Woman at the helm? I think not! I suppose she could have gotten the message across differently to soothe our fragile egos but I for one liked that she took a stand.  

Amy has a unique style and she doesn’t crowd our heads with too much verbiage but she gets the message across. A lot of spin instructors use the Borg Scale of Perceived Exertion. This Scale has a range of 1 to 10. 1 being I am eating bon bons on the couch and 10, I am dead.  Its premise is that we measure our intensity by sensations our body feels rather than a number off a HR monitor.   Ms. Amato had us at one point ramped up to a 10 which I have never experienced and I cranked the resistance dial just one turn down from the maximum. I was able to keep a pedal stroke reasonably smooth without jacking my upper body into contortions and it got me thinking that I need to bring myself to the next level of fitness. I never fail to leave a Lake Minnewaska under my bike but maybe this is the time I need to polish the lens at just how hard I am working. One can get complacent even if we spin outside our comfort zone. Amy got me thinking. 

There even was a Zen moment when she said that no goal is reached unless we can close our eyes and can see it. I know what my dream is and as I shut my peepers, I saw what dreams may come. 

I had never heard the song: Bad Things by Jace Everett and it had a great sexy edge and Amy did some very bad things this morning and it felt good awful good. 

And now for something completely different:

http://jacsbook.blogspot.com/2011/04/loose-fittings.html

No comments:

Post a Comment