Kristen's Spin Class

Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Refractory Period



The relaxation of booking online has an ethereal feeling of comfort attached to it. I don’t mind the ritual of waiting for the now fourteen most wanted but if I can book #3 in advance it does feel good. And there appears to be less competition for that front row. It’s not a matter of narcissism seeing my shrinking form in the mirror, but rather I am overcoming the childhood reticence to be too close to teacher. 

I had a strange visceral feeling of sadness yesterday when I arrived for Tripp’s 6 AM class on Friday and I didn’t see a full house. My thinking was that Lifetime had put a bullet hole in the heart of my favorite exercise club, Equinox. I felt melancholy, but the real reason was that I had not taken into account the snowstorm and after I had reconciled that my fears abated.  It was the seminal moment that told me emotionally that I would never leave here. I knew it logically and now my heart resonated the same epithet. 

You could tell that Kristen was just a little under the weather today but I’ll be damned, she never lets that put a dent in her scholastic soliloquies. Always fresh are her vignettes and she imbues her strong feminine personality with charm, grace and at times acerbic wit. She is truly a virtuoso in her field. 

I loved seeing some of the familiar faces from the weekday sessions like Debbie Jensen, Cindy, Nancy to name but a few. It is a warm feeling to have that closeness KG was referring to. We are alone but the oxymoron is that we are so together.

 As I start to hone in and listen with more sensory acuity I am picking up the beginnings of a plan to get to my goal of fat burning. I have lost significant weight and inches this past year but I know now that I can do it more efficiently and that will be my focus in year ahead.   The HR monitor which I can barely see tells me that my zone is just a bit higher than conventional tables tell me but I will let my stress and echo tests tell me what my efficient frontier is actually. 

Definition of getting it up again from a scientific perspective is called the Refractory Period. In neuroscience it means the period of time following the stimulation of a nerve during which the nerve will not respond to a second stimulus. We never want to have sexual innuendos in spin class unless it’s absolutely necessary.



Hey as if I didn’t mention it enough my status as a sexagenarian begins on Wednesday just in case you don’t know.  



No comments:

Post a Comment