Kristen's Spin Class

Monday, February 27, 2012

It's A Force Field


Today for the first time I think I got inside the Evil Woman’s head. Well not literally of course but I certainly got a glimpse into how she plans out each 55-minute journey we take. I also know that it’s different each time just like the terrain would be if we changed bike courses each time we rode.  Most often when I start each class I try not to think about what’s in store for the ride I just turn it over to KJ and follow her instruction to the letter if I can.  But today as I clipped in I envisioned myself back in Central Park doing a 20 miller or a 30k race on foot and knew that I had to pace myself else I leave myself virtually Jackson Browne, running on empty. This mindset changed the whole dynamic for me because I was able to “see” myself not only finishing strong but also leaving just a little on the table for the next ride.  I think that was important when I was running competitively because it gave me the impetus to want to run just a little bit faster the next road race on the schedule. This could bear some meditation because I can easily get lost in the physical reality that we are not moving an inch but in this way I ride a 20 miler each time I get on board my Schwinn.  

Today in the front row it felt like spring training because my regular mates outside of David were missing. And as I looked outside at rides end I knew my other “infielders” were in the 915.  And in from the outfield was Don Berman. Normally in dead center in the last row here he was acting if he could play first base with ease.  

It was a great ride and I was extolling the virtues of Kristen’s professionalism to a good friend that rides exclusively with another and she too admitted that KJ has a vision and she delivers it with charm and an adroitness which is unparalleled at least to my way of thinking. And there was David Blatt back among us again. I thoroughly enjoy this man because he is pure in heart and has a dynamism that carries over in his professional life as well as he himself personally. Welcome back David.  He was also talking about a book, which I have to pick up: The Book of Birthdays by Russell Grant. He described a certain someone whose birthday falls on April 3 and he said this Aries was in the perfect job. I tend to agree. Below is the link if you care to take a peek. 

N.B. Darryl Gaines will be in the CS on Thursday for the 9:45 let's show him what we're made of. His friends on FB are raving about this man. 

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Birthdays-Russell-Grant/dp/0440508894/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330192282&sr=1-1

No comments:

Post a Comment