Kristen's Spin Class

Friday, July 22, 2011

If You Can Think It......


The first ten minutes of KSC would be so daunting if I stopped and thought about it before I jumped on my bike, which is usually #3.  But instead I busy myself with housekeeping preparing for my ride. First thing I do is adjust my seat height to 14, when that is secured I then make sure I am a 0 on the seat slide longitudinally. I then place my water bottle on the right side cradle and two hand towels on the left handlebar to soften the grip of my left hand, which always goes numb at various points in the ride.  I am ready I think. The little rituals for each of us are so singular that we all have our own way of laying out our bikes.  We have taken the workout towel and extended it way beyond what was intended. Some of us bring up bath towels (plural) and drape them ceremoniously across the handlebars and it looks more like a bed than it does handlebars of a Schwinn stationary bike.   

I have written now 300+ stories on KSC and without Kristen’s inspiration and of course all of you; this would have been just another blog. I started writing blogs a little over two years ago when I started “My Life After AA” but it was not until I asked Kristen one day in the old CS if I could start to write about the experiences in her class. When she said: Sure. I was on my way.  I have told her how that simple assent by her has changed my writing beyond my wildest dreams. Of course a better dream is when an editor says Jack we want you to write for us.  I confess I did have a fantasy that Kelly Ripa, Regis Philbin’s partner on the daytime show (who is an avid spinner) one day discovers KSC and on my counter I see 500,000 hits. Oh well if I can think it, it can happen. 




No comments:

Post a Comment