Kristen's Spin Class

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Heart's On Fire




Have I inadvertently discovered a way to end an atrial fibrillation event? I just might have but I guess I have to accede to the expertise of my cardiologist and ask him if my lay theory has a heart beat so to say. Today in the Evil Woman’s class I was faced with a problem; give up my bike because I was having an ‘event’ or continue with the ride hoping that my heart rate would return to normal.  I couldn’t hide my discomfort as some of my friends expressed their concern as to my state. I lovingly brushed them aside and got on the bike. Kristen asked me if I was ready and as I nodded a half hearted yes, I hoped that I was making the right decision lest you find me slumped over the handlebars. 

What ensued was a major revelatory occurrence. About 15 minutes into Kristen’s choreography, my HR returned to normal. I was happily shocked and afterwards I thought to myself that what must have happened was that my premature ventricular contractions or PVC’s was  outgunned by my regular heart beat that needed to pump the blood supply to my body in order to take on the class in my normal fashion. I thought of Carolyn Mellace as this ‘theory’ in my head took hold and in tomorrow’s class, you will find me looking for her expertise. 

The class went on without another event and my strength returned to normal and for the rest of the day as of this writing I am feeling pretty damn good. I just wonder if instead of lying down  the next time as I usually do,  I get on a spin bike or take to the streets and raise my HR as nature intended. It might be a wild metaphor, but I thought of how a nightmare magically disappears when we  open our eyes, maybe I am on to something or maybe it’s a quick way to my ultimate dirt nap. (Just kidding my friends)

Wasn’t Saturday’s class absolutely FORGET YOU fantastic? I thought the intensity was there as usual but what made the experience really a treat was that we are on the verge of spring  and it just gave me such a serene feeling.  

No comments:

Post a Comment