Kristen's Spin Class

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Da Bomb


He was being billed as “da bomb” and being a skeptic I wanted to reserve the superlatives to my own experience. John Victor Self. In the words of Darth Vader: Most Impressive.  His physiology was beyond athletic and his tats gave me the impression that they were chevrons bestowed on him by his aficionados during his travels about the state of Equinox. A riveting presence that captivated a full studio and by rides end a spirited applause had broke out, which was unusual for our Lavender Palace. We just don’t give it up that easily as this man had us hanging on his every word. 

He told us that it would seem we would be always out of the saddle and always in the saddle and although that seemed like an oxymoron I got it, because that’s exactly what it felt like. I think I attribute it to the fact that I was so fully associated with the cadence throughout the ride that I simply forgot what position I was in. One thing about spin that has bedeviled me is that damn red dial. I could never figure out just how much of it I should have on at any point in time. But today I think that all changed. JVS said that he would rather us favor keeping the cadence over resistance. In other words if we couldn’t keep the pace then the resistance was too great and we should go left. I liked that because I never fake it when I ride, as I usually have too much resistance on and now I think I have yet another mystery, demystified. 

It was so great to be back after a two-week absence, first with bronchitis and then with my trip to Florida. It seemed an eternity.  And I knew that I had a double spin in store today because Svengali (Tripper) was slotted in the 1215 and it just has been too long away from the Trance Inducer. The faces of my friends Debbie (FAB) Jensen and Mary McCann gave me a sense of comfort making reentry a soft landing. I asked Debbie not to reveal what FAB meant lest Sister Bertrille admonish me. 

John Victor Self. A truly gifted and charismatic entertainer with a skill set that played even keel to the devotion he has to his craft. 

No comments:

Post a Comment