Kristen's Spin Class

Monday, October 10, 2011

The Tables Have Turned


When I think of what I’ve learned in KSC it would certainly include how to work that resistance wheel to get the most out of my workout but that is only one flight of stairs that I have climbed since February of 2010. I think what I’ve rediscovered is how to take it to my limit and manipulate my heart rate to help me shock my body out of my comfort zone. I had not actually thought that I would find myself there but when the Evil Woman spoke of it today I had to be honest I was spinning in my zone of comfort in parts of my workout. It was a wake up moment.  How could that be? I leave three huge puddles every single class but sweat doesn’t always mean results at least I don’t think it does.

Kirsten has me breathless virtually the whole ride and when she says anything about ‘faking it’ I know I am not in that equation. I actually cannot conceive who in her class actually is trying to be mendacious but I suppose from her vantage point she is the best judge of that. It still defies imagination that anyone would be here when they’d be better off on the elliptical or on one of the recumbent bikes in the main room.  And a lesson for some of the other instructors in her charge could be that paying attention to form of their riders should be the first order of business.  I for one have seen some that have their upper torso out of synch with their lower half and I just know that is inefficient at least for spin class.  I first learned how to keep my upper body “quiet” one Sunday in Carolyn Mellace’s class when she had us focus on this very discipline in a segment on one of her rides.  

 I have lost all my disdain for the musical selections in this class because this is what people want to hear nowadays I suppose. And to be truthful artists that gave me an earache last year I can actually tolerate now  and there are those that I can actually enjoy. People like Pitbull, Usher and even Jennifer Lopez have me at least listening with moderate interest. There are those too that I actually like Katy Perry, David Guetta and the Madonna of the 21st Century, Lady Gaga.  I would still love to hear more from the 80’s, as my own personal preferences like Erasure and New Order resonate with me like no other musicians since The Beatles.  

Spin Notes:
What the heck is Don doing in the second row? Does teacher need to watch him to keep him from throwing spitballs in class? Or is he afraid that the clock above his head might actually fall off the wall if he doesn’t “Get Up” when EW tells him to.  
There is new blood in class these past few weeks and months, which keeps it fresh and provides more foils for Kristen as she indoctrinates the uninitiated.  



No comments:

Post a Comment