Kristen's Spin Class

Monday, October 17, 2011

Everything is Temporary


Everything’s Temporary. A powerful phrase that I have touched on in several of my less fanciful yarns over the last year and a half, and when Kristen uttered it today it reminded me in the context of our spin sessions whether up or in the saddle that our time in the Lavender Palace is the shortest of intervals. It is the one-hour where we become devoted to ourselves alone.  And in our hurtling existence had we not taken the time, our own needs might never be met in the other 23.  

 The Evil Woman has often said that you can do anything for 30 seconds and when it’s boiled down to finite intervals like that my motivation instantly rises to increase my pedal stroke and I instinctively move out of my comfort zone. That’s another phrase that I will focus on one day because the comfort zone is a moving target. Comfort it seems to me moves along a continuum that leaves behind discomfort in its wake. No sooner are we pushing a deeper level of fitness do we find ourselves climbing steeper and steeper climbs via that damn red dial. I could feel it today my legs punishing the pedals and when she told me to increase the resistance I was taken out of my trance of thinking I was where I should be.

 Today for a plethora of reasons as I opened my eyes and cast my squinted glance at the digital clock reading 5:45 my impetus to rise was as a dead Duracell trying to light my way to the bathroom door, it just wasn’t happening. My desire was at low ebb and it would take all of my military school discipline just to muster donning my shorts and top and move my sorry ass to make the 8:30.  

But just as my AA idiom told me that bring the body and the mind will follow, once I heard the rhythm of the American Top 40 I felt like Jeff Bridges did in Starman as the Mother ship brought him back to life with those light rays from the heavens. So too did Kristen relight my blue pilot light that sometimes lets life extinguish my desire and enthusiasm. For many reasons I am in an emotional malaise but for this hour I forgot where I was and with the help of all of you my altered state of bliss returned albeit only temporary. 

P. S. 

Optical Image run by Heather Featherr and Cheryl Israeloff are my new Opticians.
I visited their store in Plainview last week and I can recommend them highly and after all I think we should support these friends in our home away from home EQ.  







\

No comments:

Post a Comment