Kristen's Spin Class

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Contagion


Atop bike  #41 left me far enough away from spreading too many microbes in the direction of my spin mates this past Monday morning. Another round of bronchial asthma had me just a bit curtailed in giving my usual fanatical effort in the Queen of Spin’s class.  I love that back corner position in what is left field of the CS because it gives me a great view of almost everyone in the class except for Kristen. It felt surreal from that vantage point as my upper respiratory infection simulated a dose of sensory deprivation as well as me desperate to stay in the breathless zone.  

Now I don’t see myself as a narcissist but next to that full length wall mirror it’s hard not to take a look at my physiology which for all intents and purposes has seen a metamorphosis in these past few months. I used to have a ripped thoracic wall up until age 45 until a self-imposed 7-year sentence on the elliptical left me more paunchy than at any other point in my life since my college years.  And because of this regimen taking my shirt off this summer was something I did with regularity and even though Kristen says it was me who put in the effort there is no way I could have felt this good about my body as I do now without her adroit instruction. 

 I am 20 months in now and I can say with a deep conviction that spin has awakened me to my new life that is now upon me.  And as I celebrated my first year as a sexagenarian I almost can’t believe I am born again.  If indeed my spin stories have come to an end it was one helluva ride.  

No comments:

Post a Comment