Kristen's Spin Class

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Watts Watt?


Inventor James Watt: 1736-1819

A glorious new Equinox opened in Greenwich Connecticut just recently and yours truly attended Super Saturday boasting a stellar lineup of talent in the various categories of group exercise. Of course I was just there for one reason and that was The Evil Woman. I know that some of us that made the field trip like Mary McCann, David Cooper,  Damian and David B. were urged to take the very famous mentor  Jay Blahnik’s spin class, who ranks in the top five in the nation in many categories of group exercise according to the top fitness magazines.  He has appeared in more than 50 fitness videos as well. Talk to the aforementioned field trippers for what their experience was. John Vincent also made a guest appearance in Jay’s class and when I see that young man again I will be curious to hear what his take was. 

A well-lit CS in the affluent hamlet had brand spanking new Schwinns and they were as I remember them from my first rides back in Woodbury. That is not to say ours our not well maintained but there is nothing like something new. I did like the + and --- etchings on the resistance dial which gave me a clearer sense of the ‘road’ I was adding or subtracting.

 Kristen in her session was a bit subdued because after all these members were relative neophytes to her firebrand of high-octane spin class she features at Woodbury. But no matter the same puddles at rides end were on the floor so even if she was a “kids glove” version of her self we cranked it as if we were back on Long Island. 
Now to the entry’s title. I certainly know about watts from light bulbs and the higher the number the greater the brightness, but I was never really cognizant of what watts meant on exercise equipment. Kristen gave us a range of 100-500 as a measurement to find ourselves in. According to the consoles on the bikes today I hit a high of 272 but that was a vigorous effort for me. The elite range between 350 and touch 500. Now I have a new measure of fitness beside calories burned and HR. 

The ride up was only about 45 minutes without traffic from the club but with an accident south on 95 the hellish return trip had me in hindsight thought thinking I could have stayed and taken another class like one that caught my eye: ZEN Moving Meditation. I have to wonder if we are going to see that class back on Long Island. If you have a chance visit Greenwich it’s beautiful. 

P.S.
I hear that John Vincent will be back in the CS over the summer and I for one look forward to his return. And I definitely would love to see an encore visit by Robert Sherman.  


No comments:

Post a Comment