Kristen's Spin Class

Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Edge of Glory


I think there is something a little extraordinary about Thursday and Saturday KSC. Not sure why maybe because it attracts the most serious side of us who attend. Kristen used to tell me that she felt Thursday’s 8:30 class was her best in terms of the effort put forth collectively. I can’t see what she sees from her perch from the front row but there does seem to be a slightly different feeling about Thursdays. Now I feel the same about Saturday as well because those that cannot avail themselves of her weekday schedule can on Saturday. I can almost feel the determination as it wafts throughout the CS. I know that I push just a little bit harder here with the Queen of Spin. At one point she said that this was not “recess” and that this was “class” and that reverberated psychically with me because although we are here to have fun it is a very serious affair in the Lavender Palace when the Evil Woman is at the helm.   Today’s session was among her most challenging but I sound like a broken record because I seem to have said that fifty times prior.  

One of today’s featured songs was On the Edge of Glory by the 21st century version of Madonna, Lady Gaga. It seemed apropos because whenever we take this class in particular we know that we will be out of our comfort zone for virtually every minute of the 55 we spin. The glory is manifested in our changing physiologies and our renewed life force that gives us the tools to face life on life’s terms. The breaks are but momentary at best and as we ratchet up the scale of perceived exertion, we never ‘arrive’ we just keep that carrot on a stick in front of us because we never get there. Besides if we did arrive, it might be the letdown of our fitness lives. 

And now for some H.I. or Human Interest for us romantics. 

My new favorite young  “couple” is Liz and Ari and I was under the delusion that they were married. And when I found out that was not the case, Cupid’s arrow winged me because they looked so perfect together and they are always alongside each other in spin and sitting next to each other before and after class. Then I heard they were divorced but remained close. I can identify with that as I still do the financial planning for both of my ex wives.  But hope springs eternal as today I heard a different version, and that made my heart lift, because that account told me that Ari was courting Liz and that she referred to him as her boyfriend. I love these two because ostensibly they seem a perfect match just like the married couple of Stacy and Peter, also perfect together. Just my opinion.  Every once in awhile some new blood arrives on the scene and Kristen will ask who you belong to? I like that romantic notion; belonging to someone it plays on my heartstrings. 

Watch and listen to  Ms. Gaga here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S08KonZiew4

More from today:
http://jacsbook.blogspot.com/2011/05/heartbroken.html




No comments:

Post a Comment