Kristen's Spin Class

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Lioness


The Evil Woman looked ferocious today didn’t she? Maybe from the back row you couldn’t tell but with that one blond tendril suspended in front of that gorgeous countenance and gritting pearly whites she was almost ready to strike like a lioness pouncing on an unsuspecting antelope.  Get the picture? I love when she is this way as I have chronicled before because we get this no nonsense Kristen that is almost drill like in her precision oratory. Yes, yes I love the playful KG but this is what I come here for fire and brimstone and when we are done the next 23 hours are like eating cotton candy.  Well we don’t eat cotton candy and we don’t eat Devil Dogs or Yodels we consume grilled Salmon and fresh vegetables. But you get the picture. 

Even though the attendance in her class changes daily there is a core element that is always present. This core changes as well but collectively we all know what she means when she admonishes us that we are not beginners. And she’s right after all we are not.  If we take this class we are beyond just coming to the club to “workout”. We are here because we are damn serious about what the hell we expect from our instructor and more importantly ourselves.  And when she says things like: That is so last week! We know that in order to perform at a higher level each time we have to pay attention to what is not only going on with our pedal stroke but also what is going on in the switchboard in our heads.  Any notion that we can let up after a surge or a breakaway or a steep hill climb is for the weekend warriors that reside in the main studio. No disrespect they are here trying to get fit but trying is for the average person and we are certainly not average. I stop and think sometimes after class when my shirt, socks and now my shorts are completely soaked how I get through these grueling sessions? And that’s where I stop myself I can’t think about it I just have to do it and be in the moment where the word CAN’T is locked in the trunk in my car.  





No comments:

Post a Comment