Kristen's Spin Class

Friday, March 1, 2013

Don't Read This One


For all intents I should not have ridden today but as some of you might identify I am possessed when I get into KSC Thursday edition.  One of my favorite spin classes of the week the 830 brings us close to weeks end and it just seems as if the effort we put forth is more intense than say Monday or even Wednesday. I might be hallucinating but that’s what it seems like to me.  

Back to why I had no business on the bike today was that I was in the midst of a 24-hour atrial fibrillation episode and as I watched my Polar HR monitor hit 223 I had to slow down in RPM’s and back way off on my resistance wheel. Maybe I am playing with fire but I’ve had this condition so long I doubt it will kill me although some that love me might beg to differ.  I was reading on a website a-fib.com that there are proponents who believe that heavy exercise can actually break the spell for lack of a better word as the intensity of the real heart beat cancels the echoes of those runaway charges that don’t actually pump any significant amounts of blood.  That was my contention all along but it was hardly scientific. 

It just felt strange not being able to keep up with all of you and having to sit when you were all in position 3. Not a big deal its only one class but it moves me closer to getting another catheter ablation. The first one 13 years ago didn’t take and for those of you that don’t know there is no anesthesia for this procedure because the surgeon wants you wide awake as the technician scores the inside of your heart with painful radio waves that scar the inside wall of your heart and supposedly prevent these masquerading heartbeats. My doctor at St. Francis in Manhasset had me on the most uncomfortable table and said: Tell me when it’s excruciating. And as the tech called out the ever-rising radio waves (Mikey correct me if I am wrong in this terminology) and as I started to writhe in pain I firmly resolved that I would never do that again. However maybe technology has evolved and it’s not quite as painful. I just can’t stand this anymore and  because I just can’t seem to take my meds dutifully the ablation might just be my only alternative. The question is will it work the second time if it didn’t work the first time.  

Yesterday I tried saddling up for Dana and that’s what I should have done today but missing two days in a row? Saints preserve us. 



No comments:

Post a Comment