Kristen's Spin Class

Friday, March 29, 2013

Sensory Deprivation Part II


A holiday week had me enjoying Dana Mancini in the usual KJ spot of 8:30. You know we love this kid (she’s a kid if she’s under 35) and whenever I talk to my boys Soren and Roy they simply rave about her in the locker room. Nice guys Soren and Roy they can spot talent too!  I would be remiss not mentioning them along with my friend Mike who lodges himself in the back row a man that has shown me so much kindness this past year whenever my heart is on the fritz. (The fritz and archaic term meaning not working properly)  Thanks Michael.  

I still can’t get over Dana’s musical selection especially being so young reaching back to groups like the Doors and The Who. There are not many of her generation that really appreciates that period in musical history.  In a world where the Breakfast Club is an old movie most of Generation X, Y and Z have no idea who Steve McQueen is. Really I usually exclaim?! You don’t know who the King of Cool was? No not John McClain of Die Hard Steve McQueen. I bet most of you are googling his name right now. Be that as it may Dana uses many historical references in her music selection and that makes this old boy smile.  

 Sensory deprivation is a subject that is near and dear to me mainly because I have been writing and thinking about it since the Internet became a reality for all of us back in the 90’s. To be able to experience it again in another space and time excites me.  I used to be simply amazed instant messaging strangers and actually getting a “sense” of who they were minus sight, hearing, touch and smell. I reckoned that the remaining sense of sight, seeing their words made up for the other 4 that were missing. Now in reverse in spin class closing my eyes has brought a new world to a sport where it’s actually safe not to be looking. I choose the saddle as the best place to enjoy this phenomenon and my experiences are nothing short of extraordinary. It is for me trance induction. I “leave” the physical plane at least part of me does and I feel like I’m floating. The intensity of the ride is increased markedly and I am able to produce efforts beyond ones previous primarily because nothing in the studio can distract me. Make sense? It does for me. When I open my eyes I feel part of my essence is descending from above and landing back into my body. An altered state if there ever was one. Trust me I know all about altered states. 

Dana is also becoming a master at the double entendre and innuendo without being obvious just another intoxicating personality trait in our new Princess of Spin. The Queen may step down one day (perish the thought) and in Dana at least the fall off won’t be a steep as our fiscal one is. 






No comments:

Post a Comment