Kristen's Spin Class

Friday, June 22, 2012

Rocky Road


Just before 5 am as my windows to the world opened to the dawn of this man’s favorite day of the week, Friday the thought of making the 6 am class was to say the least daunting.  As I tossed in the sheets my decision was to just do the shortened version of Tripp’s spin class. But it gnawed at me that I had promised myself and told two friends I would make Rocky’s XCLR8! What changed my decision? I was going to book KSC Saturday and that required a trigger finger precisely at the stroke of 6 to secure a bike for Saturday’s 8 o’clock and as I was successful in obtaining my spot, by that time  I was wide-awake and got in my Mini and hot footed it to make the last half of the session. 

Well try as I might to surreptitiously enter the class the “Rock” announced my arrival. Damn it! And so I emulated into the flow and down on the floor I descended as I tried to blend in to Rocky’s well-oiled machine of athletes. And I am not kidding these kids are in amazing shape at the hands of this diminutive champion. And I never thought I would be hearing things like: You’re doing great Jack! Which to me meant not bad for an old man. Well at 61 and old enough to be most of these youngsters’ fathers I guess it was a tribute in their mind but for me it was just another subtle reminder of Father Time.  No need to feel sorry for me however I am in the best shape of my life since 45 and in my defense there’s not too many men my age that could keep up with me.  

So what is this magnetic attraction with Rocky Ribacoff? She is truly a singular personality in that she exhorts you on like a Marine drill Sergeant but cradles you in a mystique that is unmistakably endearing.  I am determined to expose this proven talent because maybe it’s just me living under a rock but anyone that can get 20 or more devotees up at dawn must have a shocking charisma. And I think she does.  More as the coming weeks unfold.  






No comments:

Post a Comment