Kristen's Spin Class

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Happy 2nd Anniversary Peter Rothermel




Peter Rothermel

We all know this man but he is more often seen and not heard. Ah but there’s the true magic in Peter Rothermel, GM of Equinox Woodbury.

Having been a member of Equinox Woodbury since it’s inception in April of 2003, I have seen a battalion of staff and managers come and go, often without so much as a notice in the obituary column of fitness experts. I did some checking and in the 6 years prior to Peter’s arrival on August 11, 2009 there were no less than 8 GM’s that have passed though those glass doors.  Each time a new one sat in mission control I was convinced that ‘this one’ would be the one that stayed and made their mark on this club that I love so dearly.

Peter graduated from Hofstra University, majoring in business and his first notable managerial position was a GM of McDonald’s.  Now say what you want about the perception of that franchise and it being less than desirable in terms of nutrition, however Peter tells me their management training is World class and no doubt helped give him the acumen for running a fitness club that is also World class in terms of it’s personnel, equipment and facilities. But even with the best training it takes a singular talent to run our club because let’s be honest we overall as a group are a demanding constituency and in the vernacular we can be a pain in the gluteus maximus.

My own impression of Peter when I met him for the first time was that he seemed well intentioned but all of his predecessors staked similar claims that they were going to make Woodbury their home away from home.  Obviously two years later this man stood the test of time and I admit I was a skeptic just like some of us were when Peter first arrived on the scene. His quiet certainty was the key difference than the managers past. And that day when I queried him he answered just like I thought he would and he assured me that he was here and the revolving door, which was GM’s at Woodbury, had come to grinding halt. I will always remember that day and know what? He has delivered in every sense in terms of member satisfaction and all without him boasting what it is exactly he was doing. He is never afraid to get his hands dirty and Kristen always said how clean he kept that washroom upstairs as sanitary as fresh Kleenex.  And I don’t always agree with what his policy’s are but this is a man you respect and you can’t help admire.

 Now you all know no one tells me what I can write and what I can’t in my two spin blogs and what I write here comes from my heart and I have no agenda other than to get readers like you.  Peter always gives me the time of day and listens to my questions and concerns and it registers. I like that.

  When you stand next to this man you feel him exuding confidence and you know he knows what he is doing and this man is not Yes Man. He stands up to the Mother Ship better than any of his predecessors did and gets many concessions for his members not many a GM could ever dream of. He is on top of bringing in the best guest talent, and the most up to date equipment and together with Kristen the hottest group exercise the market offers.    Not many can move a big corporation like Equinox but Peter does.

I will let his startling video tell the story but suffice it to say that Peter lost over 200 pounds and his appearance on Fox News was the seminal moment for his career as Equinox scouts came calling and wanted him to run the challenging Woodbury location.  They could spot talent and unlike some of the free agent pitchers this man is of the CY Young category.

Equinox had fired more GM’s than George Steinbrenner did with the irascible Billy Martin but they soon discovered their diamond; Peter Rothermel and we are the lucky ones.  Take a look at this Fox video and get to know Peter Rothermel just a bit better.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/good_day_ny/090327_Weight_Loss_with_Diet_and_Exercise


No comments:

Post a Comment