Kristen's Spin Class

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Bring it-Take it


This was a phrase my spinning class instructor used in a very crowded spinning studio this past Friday. She said, and I am paraphrasing that when she comes to work each day she will always “bring it” and it was up to us to “take it”. A little piece of Zen philosophy that gave me a shot of adrenaline as my pedaling seemed to pick up speed almost involuntarily as if my unconscious got the message before I could even roll those words around in my mind.

It made me think about my own potential that lies somewhat dormant during these times of economic turmoil. However, I thought it a great opening line to anyone that was within earshot that I came to meet in the course of my workweek. After all my vocation was people centered. A bit audacious but nonetheless a great nutcracker that might not open every suspect, but as long as it was authentic I needn’t care if some thought I was a nut they didn’t want to bite into.

So my spinning instructor became my didactic lady of the day. Because if we “bring it” no one will have any doubt about your intention. They might not agree with you but they will respect you for taking a stand. And with a stand we put forth our level best instead of a halfhearted attempt that sends us down the road of mediocrity. Now if we look at the other part of the phrase, the words “take it” we have to be prepared that just because we “bring it” doesn’t mean they will “take it”. And if they don’t “take it”, we cannot form a resentment if they don’t. If we serve it up however we will have our fair share of “takers”.

No comments:

Post a Comment