Kristen's Spin Class

Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Illustrated Man


One of my spin mates, David Cooper asked me to participate in one of his first forays at the top of the key.  He told me that he was teaching a spin class in Huntington at Break Away Indoor Cycling on 7B Green Street. The studio equipped with 25 Johnny Q. Spinner bikes also had a cadence meter and odometer, which answered one question I have always had when I spin. More on that later.  It was according to David an old trolley station and he pointed out some of the overhead stanchions that marked part of the history of the place as it gave the environs a historical feel if that is not outside the realm of conscious thought. The hardwood floor resonated with me primarily because it reflected a bright color and added to my mood as I hopped aboard. 

David atop a red Spinner bike didn’t seem the least bit nervous and you could hear parts of the Evil Woman in some of his sobriquets but Cooper has a strong presence all his own an almost quiet defiance that seems matter of fact at times yet what we all seem to be thinking but are hesitant to verbalize lest we be labeled not politically correct. I get that whenever he speaks. At the class there was his omnipresent spouse Nikole who always seems to be at his side supporting him. Amy (ice cubes) Gold Blau, Andrew and yours truly rounded out some of the EQ faithful there to support him in his new found vocation.  

The music ah the music what was that going to be like? I half expected pure rock but instead The Illustrated Man had an eclectic mix that had a backbeat, which was perfectly synched for the pedal stroke and gave fluidity to the ride I don’t often experience. The skinny is that Coop has the magic that’s needed to capture our imagination. He does it in what he doesn’t say which for this reporter is even more important than what lies in the spoken word. 

The Illustrated Man might be someone we see leading spin in the Lavender Palace one day if that is his wont. Thanks Coop I am glad I came.  

P.S.
I often wondered just how far in mileage I might log riding on a stationary bike and I found out. I was surprised.  




No comments:

Post a Comment