Kristen's Spin Class

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Cadence Queen


I felt like shouting 867-Jenny but I kept my NY mouth shut this session. It was to say the least another one of my singular experiences in the saddle. I am not enamored with the Johnny Q. Spinner bikes but it mattered little with the triathlete Jenny pushing my buttons.  Allison 'the rabbit' to my right was pumping old school and this woman is indefatigable. 

Next to the definition in Webster’s for dynamo is her image. She moves me and for the first time in recall spin history my legs were fatigued as well as my lungs. Not an easy task but I firmly resolved that there’d be no let up for the full hour. And this perpetual motion machine was working that splendiferous body on and off the bike. She had to have been an orchestra conductor in a past life because her gesticulations mimicked Catherine Connor*.  

Her choreography included homage to Adam  “MCA” Yauch of Beastie Boys fame that just died after a long battle with cancer at the tender age of 47. Jenny dances to a different beat and the music was heavy mystery Rock n’ Roll as there was nothing I could viscerally connect with but the workout this woman put me through could have featured Mary had a little Lamb and it would have made no difference she is flat out freaking perfect.  She is now dubbed the Cadence Queen because her rapid-fire call of 1-2-1-2 had me pedaling to her Gene Krupa beat.  

Usually these studios are quiet but the ‘Flame-On’ Jenny had several of her devotees engaged in active banter with her and it made for an entertaining repartee for someone like me who is used to providing most of the extracurricular voice to my classes. 

Jenny: 867-5309!  

*Catherine Connor: Top Ten Woman Conductors.  

P.S. Allison suggested Goo Brew as an alternative to Gatorade
http://goobrew.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment