Kristen's Spin Class

Friday, February 22, 2013

The Super Star Downstairs


There comes a time in every man’s life when he has to do something different. Today was that day. I went downstairs for only the second time in my 10-year tenure here at EQ. 
The 1st floor studio is a multi function space with a hardwood floor and soft lighting. This morning at 945 it became the Yoga studio. The 90-minute class is called Hot Vinyasa Yoga led by Raj Shtrom. (More about her later)   And it was one of the most challenging group exercise efforts both physically and mentally I have ever partaken in.  Although I must confess that I did take this class about 6 months ago and it took a yeoman’s effort to make it through the full 90 minutes. Today I put my big boy pants on and was determined to dig in.  

Fortunately for me my friend Jesse and his wife Guninder were there for moral support even though Jesse was doing handstands and twisting his arms around his body like a pretzel twist I was not going to even try what would have broken me in two or more pieces. Right from the start my heart was pumping and as we went through some of the various poses I tried to do my best facsimile of what most of my classmates were doing. They were the veritable rubber band compared to me who is tighter than Gene Krupa’s drums. (Okay Ginger Baker if you don’t know who he is)  Within 7 minutes no more I began to sweat profusely and out came the towels lest I slip and do myself a mischief.  

Raj is quite literally magical and maybe the right word is mystical. She starts everyone off in the lotus position or asana, which is supposed to be comfortable.   (For me that meant legs folded there was no way my feet were going to be cradled in the opposing thighs) We closed our eyes clasped our hands in prayer mode and began to chant OM.  I used it as an opportunity to center my breathing and leave the outside world behind. Raj has this voice that is melodic and soothing. It seems to me as if she is chanting the instructions of the different positions and it felt like music to my ears. It’s as if she came out of ancient India but by the same token she had a practicality about her that made me feel even more comfortable even though my flexibility is like petrified wood. She said to me Jack don’t wait another 6 months rather give me 6 months and you will be in awe of the change.  

I was glad I came and I know that the time is now for me to change it up and I think Yoga is what needs to compliment my fanatical spin routine.  Raj Shtrom is indeed the Super Star Downstairs.  

I will be back.  




This was me in Downward Dog


Come to think of it I didn't even look nearly this good. 



1 comment:

  1. I know you read but no one seems to comment. Please feel free you can stay anonymous.

    Jack

    ReplyDelete