Kristen's Spin Class

Friday, February 8, 2013

The Gold Standard


When President Nixon took the U.S. off the Gold Standard in 1971 gold was $35 dollars an ounce. Some proponents today argue that we cannot print our way into a recovery and that the only way to stabilize our economy is to return to gold. At EQ we have been on the Gold Standard in-group exercise ever since Kristen James took over that position. I remember when she first arrived she held the position of Club Manager. Lucky for us she left that spot and took on the real challenge as Group Fitness Manager at Equinox.  I know she has become a Regional Coordinator due to her leadership skills and charisma but what matters most is that she has never stood still in terms of her own gold standard of excellence in how she leads.  Maybe I have waxed poetic about this many times before but I always feel it bears repeating. When you see the results her devotees achieve like Howard (-40 pounds) his partner Ferne (-32 pounds) and Lisa (-20 pounds) to mention but a few you know she has impacted our lives immeasurably. For me it’s a rippling effect beyond the physical plane.  

When the Evil Woman says to have a seat and  “Light up the flywheel” the metaphor is complete because as we ignite our metabolism so too do we fire up our collective imaginations in terms of how we start the rest of our day. I keep reminding myself how I spent almost 7 years exercising alone thinking that the solitary way was the only way for me. How I came out of that mocus state I know not but glad I am is where I be.  

The weather makes me think I will miss the Saturday version of KSC but today was the perfect way to begin the weekend even if I am like some of you snowbound.  




No comments:

Post a Comment