Kristen's Spin Class

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Your Mother Should Know


Rarely in the last 3-½ years have I strayed from taking Kristen and Tripp to the exclusion of all other spin instructors until this week. Yes I know we have great talent here but either force of habit or procrastination I stayed locked in my routine. Now that Kristen has vacated her usual Monday and Thursday spectaculars it came rather easily for me to make some changes as well. 

Monday night started me off with Maureen subbing for John Kocaj and in the ensuing days and nights I took Damian, Dana, Tripp and of course Kristen. Taking two night sessions really broke up the week and afforded me much more flexibility in my work schedule and I got some tasks completed I had been putting off for weeks.  The real benefit however was I had got into a rut and merely changing my exercise times  gave me for lack of a better phrase a new life.  Rejuvenation I think.  There are times that I go overboard in my efforts in class and my addictive compulsive nature can be overwhelming at times. Living up to some benchmark in my head can get in the way of pure enjoyment and for the first time in months I felt enthralled again. 

This week Dana helped me break through a “wall” into a new level of fitness and Kristen showed me around in this new “room”. A great tandem these two and both extraordinarily talented women who couldn’t be more different but nonetheless accomplish the same thing at least for me which is a constant desire to be better. This one hour a day changes the other 23 whether it is work, play and even sleep. My diet has improved with fewer things being consumed that are out of a package and candy comes in the form of smoothies instead of Butterfingers.  

There are not many places I have been in my life that have given me the socialization our club has bestowed on me. Being recognized is one thing we humans long and even clamor for and I have both at Equinox whether it is my writing or my enigmatic personality I love my 3rd space.  

Kristen James has assembled a great ensemble cast and each instructor is singular in nature and these last 10 years have been nothing short of the best years of my life. 

Oh and Mrs. Bean your daughter needs a dose of soap and I know you know what I mean. 

P.S. 
It was 44 years ago today my sister Carol was taken from her earthly form and not a day goes by that I don’t think of her and the gift she was for 16 years of my life. I just wanted you to know.  

P.P.S. 
My mother should know I am thinking of her especially on this Mother’s Day.  








No comments:

Post a Comment