Kristen's Spin Class

Sunday, June 7, 2020

Inside the VELA Dome






Where to begin is how I am right now. To commence a blog that I thought I would never type again always pops up in my mind from time to time but those characters that played a role in that passion play have come and gone at least in the physical part of my world such as it is today.

Being semiretired I decided to step up my efforts in terms of my fitness levels and my choice of weaponry came in the form of kettlebells. Why I am not sure, but I have always used dumbbells in years past, but the sensation of the kettlebell just seemed to ‘feel’ right. At first, I wasn’t sure what exercise routines were available to perform but surfing the web answered that questioned quickly and I was off into a regimen that has been part of my life I would say nigh on a year now.

Fast forward to the pandemic and since I was always fond of Dana Mancini, from my days at Equinox,  I discovered somewhat by happenstance  that she had begun a series on Instagram then subsequently on IGTV  doing bootcamp broadcast classes that was a combination weightlifting, body  strengthening and  cardio class once a week. I began to integrate her videos into my own spin class and kettlebell workouts and viola I had an either 6- or 7-day cardio arrest exercise routine of my own.  Before Dana I was only doing crunches but with Dana’s classes I was now doing full sit-ups with kettlebell clutched to my chest and jumping jacks with the bell hoists too. Crazy right?

When DVM announced she was holding a Zoom spin class I jumped at it. Turns out I am not as tech savvy as I would like to think I am and although I signed in late the remaining 36 minutes had me vanquished by rides end. Now to the story.

This was my first Zoom class an upgrade on FaceTime would be my interpretation and since I was already used to the moving image of Dana in her basement classes I was now seeing her in real time instead. She had the Peloton which I think is the biggest hype since P.T Barnum but that’s a different story. She was my Peloton I didn’t need any fancy accoutrement as I was able to mimic her pedal cadence with as much ferocity as these 69-year-old legs could muster. When she jumped off the bike and came close to the camera, I enjoyed it even more as it seemed to give it a personalized coaching touch I hadn’t felt in years. In fact, it almost felt like that movie Brainstorm with Christopher Walken and Natalie Wood where they peered into the camera in one scene, I’m sorry for that nonsequitur, but it was as if she was almost coming into my living room.

I was breathless (I was never really sure of what that really meant) minutes into the broadcast but I never let that enter into how I was going to pace myself for the ride as the maniacal side of “Jack the River” had reemerged with abandon and I was hell bent on either making a fool of myself with absolutely no consequence or in the very least know I gave it my all. In the end I had fun and next Saturday is a blink away.

I could gather some of my old friends were present although they were in absentia. I knew Joshua was there as I follow him on IG, he’s a foodie posting rather elegantly about dishes that he’s been consuming or speaking warmly about his beloved parents and I also  spied Ferne, Amy, Karen and Jen. Will I write more? I don’t know because I want this to be what’s the word? Organic. I know it will be Faulkneresque in the sense I will just let if come out as a stream of consciousness.


In the meantime, I will be at it with the DVM bootcamp, the bells and YouTube spinning to one of the visual rides in the Alps somewhere behind a camera up and down an undisclosed mountain. See you soon all. 




No comments:

Post a Comment